Sunday, November 18, 2007

Volunteering

This is one of the most rewarding ways to spend time, and I wish that I had done much more of it before I had kids. I've often said that before I became a mother I had so much free time and didn't realize it. Anyway, once a month I spend two hours at a home for teenage boys who are either in trouble for various reasons or in state's custody. The focus is always some sort of arts and crafts project. The boys generally act like they're not interested initially and then start fighting over the glitter pens. You can see that some of them have had really hard lives, but there's still a child in there somewhere who wants to express himself. I was trying to help one of them with a hanger wreath and confessed that I wasn't very good at these craft projects. He looked up and said, "Why do you come here then?" When I told him that I came because I liked to hang out with and talk to them, he didn't quite know what to say, but I could tell that it meant something to him. That's a big part of it--knowing that I'm making a difference. To be able to be a positive influence in other's lives is a wonderful gift to them and to myself. If you have any extra time, consider volunteering somewhere in your community. It will be time well spent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

from the mouth of Julien....TRUUUCCKKKK.....daddy....TRUUUCCCCKKKKK...truck being rather loudly.