Monday, January 21, 2008

His dream

I listened to Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech with my children today...and I cried. Those powerful words always have that effect on me. In the past I think it was because of the pain and suffering that had been endured in the fight for the equality that should have been theirs from birth. But today it was more about the fact that the dream has never completely been realized. Why do we humans continue to focus on the differences in a way to push some down and lift others up? Why does skin color still signify so much to so many? And why do those of us who hold no hatred not do more to stand and fight for what is right? I am proud to have started on this path myself and am hopeful that my children will inherit a world where equality is so ingrained that the fight is no longer necessary.

No comments: